March 14, 2012

Lets Get Real.

Lets get real about something - ourselves and our self images of ourselves.  And I apologize in advance if this gets long, but this is something that I feel really strongly about....

Now when I say "image," I am not talking about what other people could be saying about you.  Right now - in this moment - they do not matter.  All that matters here is you.  Go take a look in the mirror.  I bet you are assessing every single imperfection you may have, even ones you don't have.  Don't be embarrassed to admit it... I do it too  - we are not alone.

We spend so much time worrying about what other people think that we forget to think for and about ourselves.   The media has glorified a body type that is totally unsustainable in the real world without some SERIOUS work - and I'll let your mind go where ever it likes on that one.  Celebrities make us feel that they are the privileged because they are beautiful, well dressed, slim... and we are not enough.  When we look in the mirror we want to see a movie star or an athlete.  And when it comes down to it, all we see is ourselves. 

But you have to change that perception.  Powerful thing, perception.  It can build, create, and more often - destroy.  When we look in the mirror and the first thing we do is compare ourselves to someone else, we are destroying ourselves.  I say we, because yes, I do it too.  I will be first in line to tell you I wish I could change something about my appearance and the way I look in the mirror.  On days I forget myself, that way of thinking - that perception - really can get me down.  Most days, I don't care.  But there's the difference.  My perception. 

You see, the thing about self image is that you are in control of it.  You can loathe yourself everyday and then what? It will not get you anywhere.  Trust me, I know.  I spent most of my life thinking I wasn't good enough.  I tried to fit in in various ways but it ended up hurting me in the end.  I tried to make other people happy at my expense because I thought it would make me happy too.  Well guess what - none of that worked for me.  Then I found my husband - who, by the way, is the most wonderful man in the world.  Then I found Zumba and an amazing group of friends that I consider part of my family.  But the biggest change was that I really stopped caring what other people thought and got on with MY LIFE.  I started to believe in myself and look at me now.  Ten years ago, I would have never thought I'd be on a stage in front of you all shaking what the Lord gave me.   All because I changed my perception of myself.

At the end of our lives, when we answer for what we have done, we are responsible for ourselves - the choices we have made - not anyone else.  So, in saying that... I know you all are amazing people.  You are mothers, fathers (if any men read this blog), sisters, wives, daughters, sons, husbands, brothers...

But in all the roles we play throughout our existence on this Earth, make sure you are who you want to be or working towards it.  Be OK with who you are now, because God (or whoever you praise) gave you tomorrow to keep trying. 

Because you are enough. 

Don't let anyone tell you any differently.

>M<

3 comments:

  1. RIGHT ON BEAUTIFUL!!!! Love this and it IS true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spoken Maria! I feel the same way! God has given me and Ann amazing new friends to share love, laughter, tears, and even body rolls (the dance kind)!! Life is good! God is great and you're wonderful Maria!!

    ReplyDelete